Tuesday, July 15, 2008

No BULL!

Ok, so I like to think of myself as "prepared"--a gal who can roll with the punches. Let me tell you, getting ready for this year's 4H Fair is about to make me an even older woman! Last year was our first official year, and it was pretty smooth sailing, we had the rabbits ready, dog was primed...that was it. Well, the bigger the lifestock, the bigger the headache. I am typically a "town" girl (Mexico cannot be called a "city"...no way, no how) and I married a farmboy. I love the farm life....the freedom of the wide open spaces. I think I have adapted pretty well, I've always loved cooking and being outside. My idea, however, of large "lifestock" is my 80 lb Weimeraner dog. Our daughter begged us last year that she wanted to do the bucket calf class. They were so cute...yada yada yada...fine with me. I was excited. We got our 120lb "babies" the 2nd week of April and it was wonderful...bottlefeeding and lovin' on them, they were so sweet!

Feeding baby bull calves

Photobucket


Now, they are close to 350-400 lbs...and let me tell ya, they are a force to be reconed with. Oh, and by the way, they are BULLS...need I say more. We have been working these little hellions every morning and night for 2-3 hrs each time, and they are a mess!! When they were little, they would nudge you with their heads....I am here to say that the "nudge" has now become a full blown headbutt! I was sweating my big ole butt off wrastling them (no that is not a typo, because it was not wrestling...I wrAstled them, or rather they wrastled me). Now their goal is to see how far they can push me to my limit....they have taken to crapping in their fresh water. Now Missouri weather is not pleasant in July & I become slightly insane when I get overheated (or so I have been told! HA) So, picture my poor 10 year old girl's dismay last night when we haul the 2nd bull's water to only find the 1st one has crapped in his water! Long story short, I ended up with crap all over me, head to toe. I was sweaty, from cleaning out the dry crap from the stock trailer, and ended up with a fresh poo scented body spray. Who ever said cattle are a dumb animal, have not met my 2 masterminded bulls. Best of luck to Ky and her show on Saturday. May God bless us all!!

(For all that are interested, fam & frens, I've posted the fair schedule link below!!)

http://extension.missouri.edu/Audrain/PDF%20Files/2008%20Fair/2008%20Brochure.pdf

No comments:

Followers