Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sun Dog 101

Well, what a beautiful weekend! I know it is Tuesday...but so what! Since when am I ever on time...unless it is for Friday Fiesto Foto Finish...

Last night was amazing. We went down to one of the irrigation lakes and went fishing. I was so excited because I was the only one catching anything. My hubby and I have an "unspoken" rivalry when it comes to fishing. I always lose, cuz I am by no means a pro, but last night...I was on FIRE!! Mike caught, nothing, nada, ZILCHO!! Poor Ky kept following me around, as soon as I'd catch a fish she'd ask ever so sweetly, "Mom, can I fish there now?" I let her, of course, because that was like salt in Mike's wound, because it is usually HIM that she is trailing behind! Anyway, enough about fishing, cuz that is only exciting for a few seconds, right!! haha

Ok, here are some photos I took last night...

This is of the sun...

Photobucket
This is the sun and a phenomenon known to my farmer hubby as a "Sun Dog" You can see a small glow in the left corner, mid-sky.

Photobucket

Now, here is the close up of the "Sun Dog" only...
Photobucket

Isn't that amazing. My hubby is an "old school" farmer and we read the almanac and have the funky calendar with a bunch of jibberish that tells you when it's good to fish, when you should trim your trees....I've still been looking for the one that says when I am supposed to pick my nose...I am sure there is a "right time". Anyway, a "Sun Dog" signals a weather change (for better or worse) will happen in 3 days. The "Sun Dog" was last night, so a change of weather can be expected Wed/Thurs. Interesting, eh? My hubby and father-in-law are firm believers in this. This is why I got a big kick out of fishing last night...the sign on the calendar showed a colored in fish--meaning good fishing. And Mike didn't catch a SINGLE ONE!!

Can I get a YEE HAW!!

See Folks, isn't my life SOOO exciting! It's the little things...that's what I live for!!

7 comments:

auntiepdiddie said...

YEE HAW!!!! My Grandpa taught me the whole, red sky at night sailor's delight, red sky at morning, sailor take warning weather guide - but thanks for the lesson on sun dogs - and "way to out fish the Mikester!!!!!"

Unknown said...

You are a font of folklorishness and other tomfoolery - you are also a great writer. I'm so proud to be your friend.

FarmGirl said...

Tomfoolery is right-o!! Today is Wednesday...so I am anticipating some type of weather change--we'll see.

Angie said...

Interesting stuff about the Sun Dog. The weather man is calling for rain this evening, possibly severe. I have to admit I find this stuff interesting too.

~B. said...

Yee haw!!! That is so cool that you rocked the fishin' scene...you go girl! Too cool about the sun dog thing, too...I'll have to remember that.

(By the way...that's another thing in common that we have...I love to fish! :D)

~B. said...

I have an award for you...YeeHAW! See my blog. :) Have a great weekend!!!

Missy said...

I'm pretty late to comment on this one, been out of the loop for a couple of wks! How cool that you actually follow the Almanac... I remember saving my allowance as a kid to buy one at Westlakes, and my parents were like "um, exactly what are you gonna do with that, you know, since we live IN TOWN?" (:
Did the weather change like it predicted? I've never heard of a sun dog.

Followers